We are a leading European intellectual property firm, acting for many of the world’s most innovative and successful companies. Our specialist teams are led by practitioners who have been at the forefront of the industry for years, acting in landmark cases before the EPO and the national courts of Europe.
We hire talented and passionate people who think creatively and enjoy a challenge. Working collaboratively, we share our knowledge and experience across teams, actively learning from each other in a friendly and sociable environment.
We are passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Diversity of thought is vital to our business; it’s how we approach challenges differently and offer our clients creative and original solutions. Through our work with organisations such as IP Inclusive, Stonewall and Business in the Community via the Race at Work Charter, we are putting the right steps in place to make sure that all our people feel supported and empowered to be themselves Further information on our commitment to diversity and inclusion is available on our website.
A healthy work/life balance is very important to us and we run regular wellbeing events in addition to the large number of clubs and social activities that are available to everyone at the firm. We are also enthusiastic supporters of our local community through partnerships with the Social Mobility Foundation and Holborn Community Association.
We have an opportunity for a qualified or part-qualified patent attorney to join our market leading Biotechnology practice. With increasing demands from our major international clients including Novartis, Eli Lilly, Johnson & Johnson, Regeneron, CSL, Shire/Takeda and Biogen, there is never a shortage of challenging, high-value work. The role would suit someone who enjoys the contentious environment of oppositions, appeals and patent litigation and who has an aptitude for prosecuting European applications in a thoughtful, strategic manner.
Suitable candidates will ideally have
• An excellent academic background with an emphasis on biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, or genetic engineering.
• Part-qualification in the UK and EQE exams through to 3 years of post-qualification experience.
• An excellent command of both written and spoken English.
• An ability to analyse complex matters and to think creatively to solve or circumvent problems.
• Experience in the filing and prosecution of EPO applications to biotechnological subject matter, including a familiarity with sequence listings and deposit requirements.
• For post-qualification candidates, an understanding of EPO opposition and appeal procedure, and experience of contentious oral proceedings.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent time management skills.
• A desire and an ability to work collaboratively.
• A drive and a commitment to excel in both written and oral advocacy.
Successful candidates will benefit from
• A supportive and sociable team-based working environment.
• Exceptional training for UK and EQE qualifications and beyond.
• A variety of stimulating and challenging work in cutting edge biotechnologies.
• A significant amount of opposition and appeal work for major biotechnology companies.
• Involvement in patent litigation and SPCs.
• An excellent remuneration and benefits package.
• Access to a range of sports, clubs and charity initiatives sponsored by the firm.
We are proud of our inclusive culture where individual differences are celebrated, and we are committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and job applicants. We do not tolerate discrimination either directly or indirectly on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, pregnancy and maternity, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our approach is embodied in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy, as well as our diversity and inclusion programmes.
Please note that we do not accept speculative CVs from recruitment consultants unless specifically requested.